Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medicaid and Medicare
Quote:A new study strongly rejects the common GOP talking point that Medicaid enrollees are unhappy with their health care coverage, and that they would be better off buying private insurance or going without insurance altogether.
Released on Monday by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the survey is the largest to date showing that Medicaid enrollees are happy with their coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA, or Obamacare). Numerous studies have shown that Medicaid increases people’s access to care, but the new survey hones in on their satisfaction with that care — something that users report in high numbers.

Overall, Medicaid enrollees across a range of demographics rated their health care 7.9 on a 0 to 10 scale, with 46 percent giving their coverage a score of 9 or 10. Only 7.6 percent gave a score under 5. “In summary, we found that Medicaid enrollees are largely satisfied with their care, and that few perceive their insurance as a major barrier to care,” write the study’s authors. “Changes to Medicaid that would result in millions of beneficiaries losing coverage could have major adverse effects.”
New study sharply rebukes major GOP talking point on health care
Quote:With Republicans in control of the White House, both chambers of Congress, and 34 out of 50 governorships, it would have been hard to imagine a more politically advantageous alignment for a conservative overhaul of Medicaid. President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act expanded Medicaid to cover more low-income adults, many of them working jobs without health insurance. Thirty-one states have accepted the ACA's expansion, covering about 11 million people.

The GOP bills would have phased out funding for Obama's expansion, and also placed a limit on future federal spending for the entire program — a step now seen as overreach. Spending caps in the House and Senate bills translated to deep cuts that divided Republicans. And GOP governors who had expanded the program couldn't swallow the idea of denying coverage to hundreds of thousands of constituents. Some went public with their opposition, while others quietly warned their congressional delegations about dire consequences.

Medicaid "is not yet at the Medicare and Social Security level because it isn't framed as something that you contribute to during your working years and you get it later as a commitment," said Diane Rowland of the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation. "But I think there is a recognition that for all its flaws...it's really the nation's health care safety net."

An AP-NORC poll taken last month found the public overwhelmingly opposed to GOP Medicaid cuts, by 62-22. "You just can't do this to people who are in situations that they didn't put themselves in," said Sara Hayden of Half Moon Bay, California. Unable to work as a data journalist due to complications of rheumatoid arthritis, she was able to get health insurance when her state expanded Medicaid.
New Life for Medicaid after GOP's Healthcare Debacle
Quote:Throughout his presidential bid, Donald Trump promised not to cut Medicaid — a source of public health insurance for millions of people — including his own supporters. But the president became the most prominent booster of the congressional effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, which included a virtual end to Medicaid as it has existed for over 50 years, despite the fact that the program covers over 70 million children and adults. When the legislative battering finally ended, the administration turned to Section 1115 of the Social Security Act.
Trump's administration has an unending war on Medicaid | TheHill

And a whole host of other measures to cut Medicaid explained in the article.
Quote:Incoming Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) tweeted Saturday that she was frustrated to learn that her healthcare costs would be chopped my more than half upon entering Congress, accusing her fellow lawmakers of enjoying cheap government health insurance while opposing similar coverage for all Americans. In a tweet, the New York freshman lawmaker-elect wrote that her healthcare as a waitress was "more than TWICE" as high as what she would pay upon taking office as a congresswoman next month. "In my on-boarding to Congress, I get to pick my insurance plan. As a waitress, I had to pay more than TWICE what I’d pay as a member of Congress," Ocasio-Cortez wrote Saturday afternoon.
Ocasio-Cortez: 'Frustrating' that lawmakers oppose Medicare-for-All while enjoying cheap government insurance | TheHill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Denying the Medicaid expansion stpioc 1 1,442 03-14-2021, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Admin