Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senators for sale, against the will of the population
Quote:On Monday night, one week after the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history, the Senate rejected four gun-related measures. One proposal would have made it harder for suspected terrorists to purchase firearms and another would have expanded background checks to all gun sales. Similar measures also failed after 26 people were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School and 14 people were killed at a San Bernardino office party.

The votes are not surprising given that the 56 senators who voted against expanding background checks (and 53 who voted against allowing the attorney general to stop the sale of a firearm to a suspected terrorist) have received a combined total of roughly $36 million from the National Rifle Association.

“What am I going to tell 49 grieving families?” Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) said after the votes. “I am going to tell them the NRA won again.”

But roughly 90 percent of Americans — including 80 percent of gun owners — support these measures.
These 23 GOP Senators Voted Against Background Checks. They Could Also Be Voted Out In November

This just has to be one of the clearest examples of special interest above general interest, and senators for sale..
Quote:How America's gun carnage adds up to $229 billion a year.
The Total Cost of Gun Violence, in 90 Seconds | Mother Jones

Interesting video, one might also keep that in mind, apart from all the people killed, shot by accident, given over to suicide, etc.
Quote:As news started to break about a shooting at a Santa Clarita, California, high school, the Senate was in the middle of debating legislation for universal background checks on all gun purchases that passed in the Democratic-led House earlier this year. But a lone GOP senator squashed all consideration on behalf of Republicans, the Sacramento Bee first reported, as the shooting was unfolding halfway across the country. Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut tweeted at 10:47 a.m. Eastern time that he was planning to push the Senate to take up gun-control legislation: “I’m about to go to the Senate floor to ask for unanimous consent to pass universal background checks.” He added: “Some will call me foolish for trying – one Republican objection and this fails.”
A GOP senator blocked a bill for universal background checks as the Santa Clarita high-school shooting was unfolding