Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The latest effort to repeal Obamacare
Of course the right-wingers hound Jimmy Kimmel:

Quote:I always turn to millionaire comedians for my health care public policy,” Matt Lewis, a conservative columnist, quipped on CNN Thursday.  “I wish Jimmy Kimmel would focus on being funny instead of giving health care advice.”  Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who authored the repeal bill with Cassidy, has also accused Kimmel of being uninformed, saying the comedian simply adopted “some liberal talking points that are absolutely garbage.”  “He bought it hook, line and sinker,” Graham told NBC News Wednesday. "I’m sorry he does not understand," Cassidy echoed Wednesday on CNN's "New Day" program.
Jimmy Kimmel becomes thorn in the GOP's side | TheHill

However, it turns out Jimmy Kimmel is right:

Quote:On Wednesday, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association warned the Cassidy-Graham bill “would allow states to waive key consumer protections, as well as undermine safeguards for those with pre-existing medical conditions.” America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), the health insurance industry’s largest lobbying group, also came out this week against the bill, saying it “pull[s] back on protections for pre-existing conditions.”
Jimmy Kimmel becomes thorn in the GOP's side | TheHill
All 50 state Medicaid directors against..

Quote:"Taken together, the per-capita caps and the envisioned block grant would constitute the largest intergovernmental transfer of financial risk from the federal government to the states in our country’s history," NAMD's board of directors wrote in a statement Thursday. The NAMD, which is a coalition of Medicaid directors from every state, noted that while the proposal is intended to create maximum flexibility, it does not provide the statutory reforms necessary "commensurate with proposed funding reductions." The GOP bill would also require states create their own health-care programs by 2020, which the directors argue is a massive undertaking. "The scope of this work, and the resources required to support state planning and implementation activities, cannot be overstated," the directors said.

The directors also hit Senate Republicans for not having a full Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score before a possible vote on the bill, "which should be the bare minimum required for beginning consideration." 
Medicaid directors issue warning on new ObamaCare repeal bill | TheHill

A CBO score is likely to be devastating, like those on previous similar repeal proposals.
Luckily most of the public isn't fooled..

Quote:Only 24 percent of Americans support Graham-Cassidy, the health care bill Republicans are furiously whipping to pass ahead of September 30, according to a new poll released Thursday by Public Policy Polling. The poll is the first to date of the proposed legislation, which would cripple Obamacare’s exchanges and sharply cut long-term Medicaid spending while also taking billions of funding from blue states that implemented Obamacare and giving it to red ones that did not.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) has promised that the bill will result in more people having insurance. Most Americans do not believe him. Majorities believe that Graham-Cassidy would instead both raise health care costs for most Americans and result in fewer Americans obtaining coverage. Only 20 percent said they thought the bill would cover more Americans.
Poll: only 24% of Americans approve of Graham-Cassidy - Vox
Jimmy Kimmel at it again:

Quote:Kimmel argued on Thursday that while he isn’t an expert, there are lots of expert groups that have come out to oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill. Major patient groups, insurance plans, and all 50 state Medicaid directors have voiced opposition to the bill over the past week. “His supporters say, well he’s a doctor and you’re not, what do you know,” Kimmel said. “To them I say, all of these very reputable organizations — American Diabetes Association, American Medical Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, the list goes on and on — all of these groups populated by doctors say this health care bill is bad. They’re against it.”

Kimmel went on: “I should not be the guy you go to for information on health care. But if these guys would tell the truth for a change I wouldn’t have to. I see these comments from these angry people that say, ‘What qualifies you to talk about this stuff? You’re a comedian, go back to not being funny.’ I feel like it’s my duty to remind these people who are so concerned about my job qualifications, the guy you voted for for president, his main qualification was this.” Kimmel then played an old clip of The Apprentice, in which Donald Trump fired Meatloaf on the primetime show.
Jimmy Kimmel vs. Cassidy, round 3: “If these guys would tell the truth … I wouldn’t have to” - Vox
Quote:Over 20 million more people could go without insurance if the Graham-Cassidy healthcare legislation is enacted into law, according to a study from the Brookings Institution published Friday. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office told lawmakers that it will likely not release a full score of the legislation with coverage effectsMatthew Fiedler and Loren Adler at Brookings used previous CBO models to attempt to determine the new plan's potential effects. According to the study, 21 million more people would be without coverage in 2026 than under the current system. After the large portion of the bill's funding runs out in 2026, that number would skyrocket to 32 million, the study said.

Even that scenario is a best-case one, Adler and Fiedler wrote. From the study (emphasis added): "This estimate likely understates the reductions in insurance coverage that would actually occur under the Graham-Cassidy legislation, particularly toward the beginning and end of the seven-year period, because it does not account for the challenges states will face in setting up new programs on the bill’s proposed timeline, the possibility that uncertainty about the program’s future will cause market turmoil toward the end of the seven-year period, or the bill’s Medicaid per capita cap and other non-expansion-related Medicaid provisions."
Graham Cassidy healthcare bill study: How many lose insurance - Business Insider
Of course, Susan Collins, just like Jimmie Kimmel (and just about any expert in healthcare, see here and here) also "doesn't know what she's talking about." However:

Quote:Republican Sen. Susan Collins said Friday that she is leaning toward voting against the latest attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, citing the bill's potential to increase premium costs for individuals with preexisting conditions. According to the Portland Press Herald, Collins said at an event in her home state of Maine Friday morning that she is moving closer to being another of the definitive "no" votes on the Graham-Cassidy bill. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is already one Republican publicly against it. "I’m reading the fine print on Graham-Cassidy," Collins said. "The premiums would be so high they would be unaffordable." "I’m just trying to do what I believe is the right thing for the people of Maine," Collins added.
Susan Collins leans no on Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill - Business Insider

And the Republicans look to be saved from themselves once again by John McCain:

Quote:Arizona Sen. John McCain, the Republican who delivered the final blow to the previous attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, came out against the Graham-Cassidy bill Friday afternoon, dealing the legislation a potentially fatal blow. In a statement, McCain said the lack of regular order in crafting the legislation is what pushed him away. "I would consider supporting legislation similar to that offered by my friends Senators Graham and Cassidy were it the product of extensive hearings, debate and amendment," McCain said. "But that has not been the case. Instead, the specter of September 30 budget reconciliation deadline has hung over this entire process."
John McCain to vote 'no' on Graham Cassidy health care bill - Business Insider
Quote:Leading medical associations are calling on lawmakers to reject Republicans' latest attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. In a statement issued Saturday, several doctor and hospital trade groups, including the American Medical Association and the Federation of American Hospitals said that the bill introduced by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.) ultimately falls short of key benchmarks, weakening patient protections and the individual insurance market. "While we sometimes disagree on important issues in health care, we are in total agreement that Americans deserve a stable healthcare market that provides access to high-quality care and affordable coverage for all," the statement reads.

"The Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson bill does not move us closer to that goal. The Senate should reject it." The groups also slam the Graham-Cassidy measure's proposed timelines and cuts to Medicaid, and calls for lawmakers to work on a bipartisan health care proposal.  "Health care is too important to get wrong," the statement says. "Let’s take the time to get it right. Let’s agree to find real, bipartisan solutions that make health care work for every American."
Medical groups urge lawmakers to reject Graham-Cassidy bill | TheHill

Quote:A group of six major doctor, hospital, and insurance groups released a joint statement on Saturday condemning the latest GOP effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, urging the Senate to reject the Graham-Cassidy bill. "While we sometimes disagree on important issues in health care, we are in total agreement that Americans deserve a stable healthcare market that provides access to high-quality care and affordable coverage for all," the statement said. "The Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson bill does not move us closer to that goal. The Senate should reject it."
Top doctor, hospital, and insurance groups urge Senate to reject Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill - Business Insider
Quote:Experts say the so-called Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill, whose legislative fate became more uncertain Friday, would set up a deadline for states that could cause massive upheaval and sow uncertainty in insurance markets. The legislation would keep intact several provisions of the law known as Obamacare for 2018 and 2019. But it would force states to set up an entirely new individual insurance market — for people who don't get coverage through an employer —  and Medicaid by 2020.

The bill's authors have presented the two-year window as a cushion to ensure no disruption for people in those insurance markets. But Larry Levitt, a senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said the transition isn't nearly long enough. "This would be a really heavy lift for states," Levitt told Business Insider in an email. "They’d have two years to figure out what kind of health insurance system they want to create, starting essentially from scratch, and then implement it. This is close to unprecedented."
Graham Cassidy healthcare bill would cause chaos for insurance, states - Business Insider
The bribes become ever more blatant and desperate..

Quote:Senate Republicans have made last-minute changes to an ObamaCare repeal bill to try and win over senators who are wary of the measurePolitico reported Sunday. Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-N.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.) have adjusted their bill, meant to repeal ObamaCare, in order to help states home to lawmakers who have expressed skepticism of the plan. Arizona, Kentucky and Alaska would each see an increase in federal funding under the law, instead of losing federal dollars as they would have under the original bill, according to Politico, who obtained a copy of the updated bill..
GOP changes Graham-Cassidy bill to win over wary senators: report | TheHill
Once again the Republicans are saved from themselves..

Quote:“If senators can adjust a funding formula over a weekend to help a single state, they could just as easily adjust that formula in the future to hurt that state,” Collins said in a statement. “This is simply not the way that we should be approaching an important and complex issue.”
Latest GOP Health Bill Dies as Collins Says She Will Vote ‘No’ - Bloomberg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obamacare didn't destroy jobs stpioc 0 1,487 07-28-2017, 01:44 AM
Last Post: stpioc
  Repeal of the ACA and tax cuts stpioc 1 2,421 07-01-2017, 03:14 AM
  The effects of a repeal of ACA stpioc 121 101,061 06-21-2017, 02:21 AM
  The Trump Government is already killing Obamacare stpioc 0 1,762 02-04-2017, 12:02 AM