Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump scandels and controversies
VERY preliminary list, we'll keep updating.
Quote:"I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering" as the World Trade Center collapsed.  
 — Donald Trump on Saturday, November 21st, 2015 in comments during a speech

Here is what Politifact had to say about this:

Quote:The next day, ABC This Week host George Stephanopoulos asked Trump if he misspoke, noting that "the police say that didn't happen."
Trump -- who has said he was in his Manhattan apartment the morning of the attack -- doubled down.
"It was on television. I saw it," Trump said. "It was well covered at the time, George. Now, I know they don't like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good."
We looked back at the record to see what we could find about American Muslim celebrations in New Jersey on 9/11. While we found widely broadcast video of people in the Palestinian territories celebrating, we found no evidence to back up Trump’s description of events on American soil.

Urban myth
We conducted an exhaustive search of newspaper and television transcripts on LexisNexis, looking for reports from September 2001 through December 2001 that made any mention of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating the 9/11 attacks.
Regarding Jersey City, which Trump mentioned specifically, we found two uncorroborated and unsourced mentions.  Neither begins to approach the scale Trump described.

The Associated Press, on Sept. 17, 2001, described "rumors of rooftop celebrations of the attack by Muslims" in Jersey City. But the same report said those rumors were "unfounded."

The Washington Post, on Sept. 18, 2001, published an article that claimed "law enforcement authorities detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks and holding tailgate-style parties on rooftops while they watched the devastation on the other side of the river." The Post story includes no source for this information, and we found no evidence that any of these allegations ever stuck.
more rampant rumor of Muslim or Arab-Americans cheering the attacks centered around nearby Paterson, N.J. But that turned out to be just a rumor, spawned by chain emails and perpetuated by shock jock Howard Stern’s radio show.
Quote:While Donald Trump has largely dropped his challenge of President Obama’s religious beliefs during his own speeches and interviews, his campaign surrogates aren’t ready to let it go. Trump’s New York State campaign co-chairman insisted in an interview on Thursday that President Obama is a Muslim, pointing to his policies in the Middle East as evidence“In the mind of the average American, there is no doubt he is a Muslim,” Carl Paladino, a 2010 candidate for New York governor, told the New York Observer. “He is not a Christian.” When pressed by the Observer for proof, the Tea Party Republican and real estate developer pointed to Obama’s foreign policy.

That hasn't stopped prominent conservatives from continuing to question Obama's credentials. Former Trump campaign manager and current CNN contributor Corey Lewandowski resurrected the issue on the network earlier this week, questioning why Obama has not released his college transcripts. On Thursday, Trump ally and New York Republican Rep. Lee Zeldin suggested that Obama "is playing for some other team" on foreign policy. And Scott Baio, the closest thing the Trump campaign has to a celebrity endorser, suggested Obama was a Muslim on Fox Business, earning him an invitation to speak during primetime at the Republican National Convention.
Trump's New York Co-Chair Says 'There Is No Doubt' Obama 'Is A Muslim' | ThinkProgress
Trump and Fiorina..

Quote:Then he pivoted to Carly Fiorina. "Carly was a little nasty to me — be careful, Carly! Be careful! But I can't say anything to her because she's a woman. . . . I promised that I wouldn't say that she ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground. I said I wouldn't say it! That her stock value tanked. That she laid off tens of thousands of people, and she got viciously fired. I said I will not say that. And that she then went out and ran against Barbara Boxer, and . . . lost in a landslide. And I said, 'I. Will. Not. Say. That!' " 

When the anchor throws to Carly Fiorina for her reaction to Trump's momentum, Trump's expression sours in schoolboy disgust as the camera bores in on Fiorina. "Look at that face!" he cries. "Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!" The laughter grows halting and faint behind him. "I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not s'posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"
Trump Seriously: On the Trail With the GOP's Tough Guy - Rolling Stone
Quote:“You know who started the birther movement? You know who started it? Do you know who questioned his birth certificate, one of the first? Hillary Clinton. She’s the one that started it. She brought it up years before it was brought up by me.” — Donald Trump, interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, May 4, 2016

Trump was one of the most high-profile birthers during President Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign. Starting early last year, Trump and other Republicans blamed Clinton for starting the birther movement. Our friends at FactCheck.org thoroughly disproved this and found no link between Clinton and the birther rumors. When Trump repeated it months later, PolitiFact and our colleague David Weigel again debunked it.
Donald Trump’s ridiculous claim that Hillary Clinton started the birther movement - The Washington Post
More ‘birther’ nonsense from Donald Trump and Sarah Palin

By Glenn Kessler April 12, 2011 

I just say very simply, why doesn’t he show his birth certificate? Why has he spent over $2 million in legal fees to keep this quiet and to keep this silent?

— Donald Trump, April 10, 2011

“More power to him [Trump]. He’s not just throwing stones from the sidelines, he’s digging in, he’s paying for researchers to find out why President Obama would have spent $2 million to not show his birth certificate.”
— Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, April 9, 2011

The controversy over the circumstances of President Obama’s birth has erupted once again, courtesy of Donald Trump’s sudden desire to test the presidential waters. He has appeared on numerous television shows and written a letter to the editor of the New York Times, spouting all sorts of Four-Pinocchio innuendo that had long ago been debunked by my colleagues at PolitiFact and FactCheck.org. Their fine work does not need to be repeated, and below we provide links to their articles to address many of the issues Trump has raised.

The charge that Obama has spent $2 million to keep this issue quiet is a relatively new one. (Trump has also said Obama spent “millions of dollars trying to get away from this.”) Sarah Palin also echoed the claim over the weekend when she congratulated Trump for hiring investigators to look into this issue.

(Note to the former governor: The Fact Checker dealt with The Donald in a previous life as a financial reporter for New York Newsday. We wouldn’t bet he has actually hired anyone unless he presented us with the canceled check.)
Let’s examine this latest claim about Obama and his circumstances of his birth.

The Facts
Barack Hussein Obama II was born on Aug. 4, 1961, at 7:24 p.m. in Honolulu. His parents were Stanley Ann Dunham and Barack Hussein Obama. The birth was reported by the state’s two main newspapers about a week or so later, based on information received from the State Department of Health, as thus: “Mr. and Mrs. Barack H. Obama, 6085 Kalanianaole Highway, son, Aug. 4.”

The above information is extremely controversial to some people, though it requires a highly imagined sense of conspiracy to believe fake birth notices would be placed in newspapers decades ago on the extremely unlikely possibility that the baby would become president of the United States.

Although the Obama presidential campaign posted on its Web site a copy of the birth certificate that would be good enough for him to get a passport (it includes an embossed seal and official signature), the myth persists that he has never produced the actual birth certificate — i.e., the original document held in the state’s files. Generally, however, you don’t get that kind of document when you request a copy of your birth certificate, since birth certificates evolve over time.

A state official has stated that such a document exists, and Obama appears to believe that there is no need to give in to conspiracy theorists by requesting its release. (A more cynical view might be that the president thinks the controversy helps rev up his base and has the added benefit of tying the Republican Party to an extreme right-wing fringe that would never be satisfied with any document that was released.)

So the basic premise of Trump’s question is absurd. Obama has produced a birth certificate — one that would be accepted by the State Department and any court in the land. No legal entity would require the actual original certificate as proof of citizenship. But where does the claim of $2 million come from?

Trump’s office provided this e-mailed answer from The Donald: “It is well known in legal circles that this is the kind of time they are spending on the issue. Isn’t it a shame when all he has to do is produce his birth certificate, which he has not done.”
(Palin’s office did not respond to two requests asking where she got the $2 million figure.)

We don’t think The Donald actually heard this in “legal circles.” Instead, $2 million is a figure that has been promoted by World Net Daily, a conservative Web site that has tried its best to fan the flames of the birther movement. In a number of articles, it has speculated that all of the legal fees spent by the Obama campaign since the election have been devoted to defending the president against a series of lawsuits concerning the certificate — all of which have been ultimately dismissed as frivolous.

According to Federal Election Commission filings, since January 2009 those legal fees total $2 million.
The filings do not break out exactly how much was spent on the lawsuits and Obama campaign officials decline to engage in “birther” questions. But it’s pretty clear that the bulk of the legal spending was devoted to other matters, such as winding down the campaign and defending against FEC investigations into the financing of Obama’s presidential bid. John McCain’s campaign, which did not raise nearly as much money as Obama, has spent $1.3 million on legal fees since the election, according to an article last month in Roll Call.

Also, it seems a bit strange to criticize Obama for spending money to defend himself against lawsuits that have no legal merit. Palin should have sympathy for his position. She said she resigned her governorship because she ran up $500,000 in debt defending herself against what she called frivolous claims.

“You can file a frivolous ethics charge, and many were filed against me, and I won all of them, but it doesn’t cost the person who is filing them anything. They can just make something up, and in fact they did make a lot of things up,” she said on Mark Levin’s syndicated tadio show in 2009. “So it was over half a million dollars in legal fees that I was accumulating to defend against frivolous lawsuits that were getting thrown out one by one.”

The Pinocchio Test
There will always be cranks, conspiracy freaks and fringe operators in our political system. It is certainly important to raise questions that have not been fully addressed. But it is bizarre to see two possible presidential candidates give support to absurd and false claims that have been debunked time and time again.

Four Pinocchios
Rigged election? From Business Insider:

Quote:Amid a week filled with controversy, Donald Trump began to hint at his defense for a potential loss this fall. The election is going to be rigged, he claimed on multiple occassions. "And I'm telling you, November 8, we'd better be careful, because that election is going to be rigged," the New York billionaire told Fox News host Sean Hannity in one such example. "And I hope the Republicans are watching closely or it's going to be taken away from us." Multiple Republicans told Business Insider Trump's assertion was both ludicrous and dangerous, as Trump would be the first presidential candidate in modern times, possibly ever, to blame an election loss on voter fraud or a rigged election.

Here is the last guy that tried to rig a US election:

Quote:Raymond authored "How to Rig an Election: Confessions of a Republican Operative" as a tell-all about the attempt to rig the 2002 New Hampshire Senate election between then-Gov. Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat, and Republican ex-Gov. John Sununu. Raymond said that attempted rigging was centered around jamming the phone lines at the New Hampshire Democrats office in Manchester — a task his phone bank was hired to carry out.

And he had this to say about Trump:

Quote:He said the lack of voter ID laws Trump is trying to use as proof of fraud this fall is also bogus. "These voter ID laws, what's the intention of that? The clear intention is disenfranchisement," he said, echoing a common complaint in liberal circles that voter ID laws are put in place to work to prevent minority voting blocks from being able to cast ballots. "You know. There's a reason we don't have a poll tax anymore. Because it's unconstitutional. "People don't vote 10 times," he continued. "There might be one bad actor every once in a while who tries to vote a couple of times, but he's talking about an institutional effort. It's a total myth." He said Trump's statements are an attempt to "basically sideline" Clinton's first four years in office.
Trump claims election will be ‘rigged’ — and it's being called dangerous - Business Insider
Quote:Baldasaro, a Republican state representative from New Hampshire, called for Hillary Clinton’s execution by firing squad in a radio interview last month after receiving a question about whether she is responsible for the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya in 2012. “This whole thing disgusts me, Hillary Clinton should be put in the firing line and shot for treason,” Baldasaro said during the interview, and then proceeded to call her a “piece of garbage.”

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has confirmed that his adviser who “>once called for Hillary Clinton’s execution is still part of the campaign. Trump gave a shout-out to his veteran’s adviser, Al Baldasaro, during a campaign rally in Windham, New Hampshire on Saturday. “Al has been so great,” Trump said. “Where’s Al? Where’s my vet?”
Trump Praises Adviser Who Called for Hillary Clinton’s Execution | ThinkProgress

And this despite 8 tax funded inquiries didn't find anything..

And then this:

Quote:Despite being a veteran’s adviser, Baldasaro has also joined the smear campaign against Khizr Khan, the father of a fallen Muslim American Army captain who spoke against Donald Trump at the Democratic National Convention last month. Baldasaro shared an article from an anti-Islam conspiracy site painting Khan as a Muslim Brotherhood agent on Twitter multiple times.

When contacted by ThinkProgress last week, Baldasaro expressed regret at sharing the article on Twitter, but still maintained that Khan was connected to the Muslim Brotherhood because he has “long ties to the Clinton and Obama campaign” and “in the White House, there is the Muslim Brotherhood.” He also told ThinkProgress that the Trump campaign had not contacted him about his tweets on Khan.

You can't make this stuff up..
Not content with wrecking relations between different communities, democracy itself is now in the crosshairs of Trump:

Quote:A staggering portion of Donald Trump's supporters are buying into his theory that the November election will be riggeda Tuesday poll from Public Policy Polling showed.The poll of North Carolina voters, which showed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton up by 1 percentage point, found that 69% of Trump's supporters thought that if Clinton wins the election, it will be because it's rigged. Just 16% thought it would be because she got more votes than Trump. Among all of those surveyed in the poll, 51% said a Clinton victory in the election would be because she won more votes, while 36% said it would be the result of a rigged election. The remaining 13% were unsure whether a Clinton victory would be the result of election rigging. 

Trump last week began to hint at the defense for a potential loss this fall." And I'm telling you, November 8, we'd better be careful, because that election is going to be rigged," the New York billionaire told Fox News host Sean Hannity in one such example. "And I hope the Republicans are watching closely or it's going to be taken away from us." Multiple Republicans told Business Insider that Trump's assertion was both ludicrous and dangerous, as Trump would be the first presidential candidate in modern times, possibly ever, to blame an election loss on voter fraud or a rigged election.
A staggering number of Trump supporters are buying into one of his most unsettling theories - Business Insider
So, all in all, a pretty useful week then..

Quote:Donald Trump just spent a week showcasing all of the qualities that make him unfit for the presidency. He began by directing a bigoted slander at the family of a Muslim soldier killed in Iraq, then followed it up with a sexist defense of serial sexual predator Roger Ailes. He attacked multiple fire marshals at a rally for following the law, used his stature as the GOP standard-bearer to settle personal scores with three prominent Republicans facing primary challenges (Paul Ryan, John McCain, and Kelly Ayotte), and repeatedly lied about having seen Iranian video footage of the United States delivering cash to Tehran.
Donald Trump Gives the Game Away | New Republic

Did he yet apologize to anyone he forgot to insult?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump nudgets Admin 306 67,646 11 hours ago
Last Post: Admin
  Trump and Putin, behind the scenes Admin 317 52,490 Yesterday, 03:52 PM
  Trump for the working class.. Admin 60 14,152 11-17-2017, 03:04 AM
  Trump for women! Admin 14 2,387 10-28-2017, 03:12 AM